Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 28, 2010

If the shoe fits...

As women, the varying personae and roles we embody as wives, mothers, friends and employees are often referred to as the many hats we wear. Meh. Hats, in my humble opinion, are a far too old school metaphor for my liking. I prefer to think in terms of shoes. Don't get me wrong, hats are great. But in an age when women are both blessed and burdened to have their pick of such an array of metaphorical accessories, we should at least pick the most fabulous one of the lot.

My BFFF (Best&Fashionable Friend Forever) for example, is a black stiletto (classy, sassy, professional and fun) with a pair of Tori Burch ballet flats stashed in her purse (sensible and smart, yet chic). My coworker and friend, A. is definitely a classic Adidas sandal (lively and friendly) with a rockin' pair of boots (confident, smart-mouthed and determined). My husband, a coach and king of razor-sharp wit, would- without a doubt- be a hockey skate. And not one of those cheapie skates you find in recent years, but an older, classic, well built pair that can be relied upon.

And me? Well, my shoe rack holds an eclectic group of of footwear. My coworkers and friends have described me as "something pink and pointy-toed...with a matching bag," which I can't say I disagree with, and will take as a compliment. While I aspire to be a Prada pump, I can't help but feel like a Croc some days, and I'm okay with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's taken me a long to to figure out that I don't always have to wear the perfect shoes. It's okay to stand in front of my closet and wonder which pair to wear. I can change from flip-flops to cowgirl boots in a single day, while still having my feet firmly planted on the ground. Thankfully, I have amazing friends who are honest with me if something doesn't suit me, and a husband who just wants me to pick the shoes that make me the most comfortable and happy ;)

IHO all this talk about footwear, I want to share with you some sites I heart for shoe deals (we're talking real shoes here, not metaphorical)
6PM.com- this site has great shoes, bags and accessories (lots of designer brands!) for really discounted prices!
Endless.com- I was wary of this site at first because it seemed too good to be true... Steve Madden heels for a low price AND free overnight shipping? But I was delighted when my shoes did in fact arrive the next day and were perfectly intact!

1 comment:

  1. And me, I am a 4 year old pair of Dansko clogs... because every morning as much as I try to put on another pair of shoes, they just sit there in the corner and scream out my name.
    My philosophy is just that of yours: If the shoe fits, wear it... aint that the truth!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment here